Contact: 01457 865236
Hadfield & Padfield Heritage Trail
The Trail Route
St Andrews and the Clock
Chapel Walk and the Estate
St Charles Church
Old Hall Square and the Cross
Peels Arms and Post Street
Bottoms Dam and Fountain
Waterside Part 1
Waterside Part 2
Heritage Celebration May 2013
THE MAIN BUSINESS
Station Road grew from the bottom of the hill, originally serving the booming Waterside mills area of the village. Maps of 1857 show Station Road growing with houses appearing on the west side while the east remained open fields.
Some roofs at that lower end of the road still have original thick local stone roof tiles rather than thin slates available following the opening of the railway in 1844.
By the end of the 1897, Station Road began to resemble what we see today. In 1907 two-thirds of properties - about 100 out of 150 – operated as shops or houses incorporating shops.
Shops included seven butchers, 12 drapers or milliners, six confectioners, four bakers, two cloggers, an artificial tooth maker, a herbalist, a chemist and an umbrella maker. Out of these, only two remain a century later: the butchers (no. 86) and the Palatine Pub (no. 133).
The present butchers in Hadfield was established in the 1890s by George “The Bookie Butcher” Woolley. At the time, official betting could only be done on a race course. In 1903, George's nephew Jack Woolley Mettrick joined the business and in time Jack's son, James, joined giving us today's name J.W. Mettrick & Son. Cattle were often herded down Station Road from the Railway Station to the abattoir (now a flat) next to the butchers shop. Tails have been told about how schoolboys would fight to be the one chosen to hold the blood bucket under the pigs as they were slaughtered at the abattoir.
DID YOU KNOW?
In 1998, filming started on the cult BBC TV series The League of Gentlemen, a dark comedy which ran for three series. Actor and writer Mark Gatiss explained: "We wanted somewhere with a good High Street with lots of different possible locations.” Writer Jeremy Pemberton added that Hadfield had a "certain kind of architecture" and "amazing vista - the moors.” Much of the filming focused on Station Road.
Under the modern road surface of Station Road the cobbles which once made up the road surface are still intact.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT