THE LORD IS IN HIS HOLY TEMPLE
To the Right Reverend, Father in
God, John, Lord Bishop of
May it please your Lordship,
The humble petition of we whose names
are affixed hereto being inhabitants of
Hadfield, within the Parish of Whitfield
in Derbyshire, and taking a lively interest
in the school about to be created here for
which we Believe there is sufficient funds
in hand to warrant a commencement, and
being desirous of having a Godly, Pious,
In 1854 the Bishop of Lichfield and the 14th Duke of Norfolk were petitioned by 42 working men for a school and place of worship. The Duke provided a field worth £500 at the back of the Railway Tavern on which a Sunday school was built. Opened in 1855, the Sunday school taught children from poor families to read and write; during the week the children worked on farms or in mills. The school was also used as a day school for children whose parents could pay for them to be educated privately. The 1870 Education Act made attendance at day school compulsory for all children, and the Sunday school provided free education to all children. The school building can still be seen looking back down Railway Street. It is now a licenced bar and food outlet called Kingsmoor recalling a private school opened in 1927 in Glossop Hall, a former residence of the Duke of Norfolk.
St Andrew’s Church was consecrated on Saturday 4 July 1874. It had taken 20 months to build on land given by Lord Howard and cost £4,000. The font was made by Mr Sheriff, a stonemason who had emigrated to New Zealand during the cotton famine of the early 1860s; he paid to have the font sent from New Zealand to Hadfield. The stained glass windows commemorate men and women associated with the church, and the names of those who served in the First and Second World Wars are recorded on war memorials.
The clock in the church grounds was erected in 1959 by public subscription in memory of the Revd. ‘Archie’ White, curate from 1911 and vicar from 1917 until his death in 1956. The Glossop Chronicle said “The Revd. White never stood on ceremony or creed; where help or comfort or guidance or advice were needed, he went to administer. He knows everyone and everyone knows him. He is a great believer is Christianity”.
The clock was fully restored in 2011 following a public appeal as part of the Hadfield and Padfield Heritage Trail.