Contact: 01457 865236
Hadfield & Padfield Heritage Trail
The Trail Route
St Andrews and the Clock
Chapel Walk and the Estate
St Charles Church
Old Hall Square and the Cross
Peels Arms and Post Street
Bottoms Dam and Fountain
Waterside Part 1
Waterside Part 2
Heritage Celebration May 2013
PEELS ARMS & POST STREET
DRINK TO A VICTORIAN PRIME MINISTER
Padfield is a “Domesday village” and its layout did not change significantly from Anglo Saxon times until the 19th Century. The oldest datestone in Padfield is 1669. It is tucked away around the corner from the top of Post Street at no 104 Padfield Main Road. It used to stand in its own grounds and is listed as a stable used as a slaughterhouse at one time
The land along Padfield Main Road was owned by the farmers of the village and put to agricultural use.
The Methodist Chapel at the top of Post Street was closed in the 1990s and converted into flats. According to the 1851 census former shops on Post Street (old layout sketch) included a fish and chip shop, butcher, a haberdashery, a general store at no.36 which was the last shop to close in the village in 1987. Properties on Post St are constructed from brick due to the railway having been opened prior to their construction. Before this all construction was from local stone.
On Rhodes Street, the school was originally the Methodist Church Sunday School.
To your right, on the narrowest part of Padfield Main Road, are some of the original farm buildings. In the mid 1900s these buildings were used by Chevens Coal merchants, who delivered using horse drawn carts. Part of the building was stabling although it is now known as Peel Farm. Public footpaths across the fields to the rear take you down to Bottoms reservoir.
The Peels Arms public house was named after 19th century Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel whose government brought in the Factories Act of 1844 limiting the working hours for children and women in factories and mills. The building was originally a pack horse inn on the salt trade route from the salt mines in Cheshire to the industrial areas of Sheffield. The ponies and horses were stabled in the building on the corner of Temple Street, now known as Crow Cottage. During the 1800s the brewery expanded their accommodation by building cottages on the other side of the road.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT