TURNING OVER A NEW CHAPTER
Nineteenth century industrialist Edward Platt owned Hadfield’s Station Mills. In 1905, he provided money for a new public building to benefit local people in the village and so Hadfield Hall was born.
Hadfield Library opened in 1906 as a reading room on the lower floor of the hall. The library moved to the middle floor when Council rents started to be collected on the lower floor. The upstairs hall was hired out for functions.
During the Second World War the Red Cross Society knitted blankets in the hall, singing as they worked despite notices for silence.
The lower room became known as ‘Old Men’s Corner’ where men would play games and read newspapers - this room was still going strong in the 1970s.
The top floor and outside of the hall featured in the BBC TV hit comedy The League of Gentlemen. The Cenotaph
was also shown in the opening credits. Hadfield was known as Royston Vasey.
There are relatives of Edward Platt still living in Hadfield. The Cenotaph is a focal point of Hadfield, next to the hall and railway station, and at the junction of Station Road, Railway Street and Platt Street. Erected in 1922, it commemorates the dead of the First and Second World Wars. There are many families in Hadfield and Padfield whose relatives are listed on the memorial.
Station Road became much busier and important when the Railway Station opened moving traffic away from Hadfield Road.