Contact: 01457 865236
Hadfield & Padfield Heritage Trail
The Trail Route
St Andrews and the Clock
Chapel Walk and the Estate
St Charles Church
Old Hall Square and the Cross
Peels Arms and Post Street
Bottoms Dam and Fountain
Waterside Part 1
Waterside Part 2
Heritage Celebration May 2013
THE CHURCH ON THE HILL
It’s difficult to imagine that Bank Street Methodist Church once stood here. Due to its lofty position, the impressive landmark building was visible for miles around. Built in 1878 the church was sadly destroyed by a major fire in 1997.
The church took just over a year to build at a cost of £4,600, with £1,800 raised by subscriptions. It seated over 600 people and was adorned with ornate wood panelling.
Hadfield’s many churches were at the heart of village life. As well as Sunday services, fetes, teas and suppers were held. Churches ran cricket, tennis and football teams, theatrical groups, youth organisations, and the first lending library was at Bank Street Methodist Church. Sunday School anniversaries at Bank Street were special occasions, requiring two services, in the afternoon and evening, to seat everyone.
Mrs Clough, nee Moss, born in 1911, was a Sunday school teacher at the church. She said that people couldn’t afford holidays, and the Sunday School organised day trips to Buxton. And when they’d saved up enough money, up to 30 children went by charabanc to Blackpool or Southport every year to enjoy at a day at the seaside.
Bank Street Methodist Church’s congregation members moved to a new place of worship in 1996, a former retail premises, in nearby Station Road.
Did you know?
The former Liberal Club (flats to your left) was used as the Job Centre in the hit BBC TV comedy ‘The League of Gentleman’ in the early 2000’s.
Hadfield Bowling Club at the end of Paradise Street used to be owned by the Liberal Club and has been in existence for over 100 years.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT